Navigation Menu

Maison 21G: Create The Scent of Your Soul [Sponsored Review]

This Christmas, Maison 21G came crashing through the snow at a timely manner, introducing me to a home of scents and an experience of mixing my own perfume.

Maison 21G is a unique brand revolutionizing personalization in haute perfumery. Armed with a wealth of knowledge from her 20 years in perfumery, founder Johanna Monange has been working with various fragrance powerhouses as a scent designer and a creative director for world famous brands.

WHAT IS MAISON 21G?
1. Masion = Home in French
Welcoming you to their home of comfort to be completely yourself,  in search of finding a scent that is personalized to you.

2. Our soul weighs exactly 21 grams
Maison 21 G's purpose is therefore to encapsulate the scent of your soul in a 21 grams bottle of perfume. Additionally, Maison 21G offers 21% of perfume concentrate – the highest in the industry. Because for something as personal as scent, you only want the best.

3. Together, it's  a home of scent and a journey to find the scent of your soul
With 34 scents, made from a blend of essential oils, to choose from, you are bound to find something that resonate with you. 

WHY MAISON 21G?

Do you miss a discontinued perfume scent? Or are you looking for a perfume that is uniquely you? 
Maison 21 G offers you the ability to create a scent inspired by a discontinued perfume and even create a perfume based on your personality.

2. Great gift for friends and family


I find perfume and scent preference as something very personal, so instead of buying a perfume for your loved ones, why not get them a session of Maison 21G's perfume workshop in Singapore as the gift instead!

3. Safe ingredients with long-lasting scent


All their perfumes contain 21% perfume concentrate and are cruelty-free, without preservatives, GMOs, CMR substances or phthalates. All scents are composed with the highest quality of natural ingredients from the Monique Remy laboratories (LMR) in Grasse, and are traceable by origin. Since its creation in 1983 by Monique Remy, IFF-LMR has never ceased to source the purest natural ingredients responsibly. LMR’s uniqueness lies in its vertical integration allowing to control each step of the vegetal supply chain: quality, cost and relationships with their partners, ensuring a perfect traceability.

THE EXPERIENCE

To be able to customize my own perfume, I headed down to Maison 21G's flagship store at 77 Duxton Road to meet up with Amanda (aka Scent Designer) and the following stages are what took place during my session with her!

Stage 1: Quiz
Before we jumped into the type of scents, Amanda got me to do a short quiz to learn more about my personality. Based on machine learning, their AI-powered app guides you in your creation to mix the right ingredients according to your personality, occasion and taste. The result that came back shared that I'm a social enthusiast and I prefer scents that are comforting and fresh, which is really interesting considering the line of work I do in Non-profit!


Stage 2: Introduction to the scents from my Quiz result
Aside from my quiz results, Amanda asked me what perfume am I currently using before introducing me to the range of Top, Heart & Bottom notes scents for me to choose from.

So the best way to explain what these types of notes are, Amanda explained that:

Top Note is like your smile
The first impression and the scent last for an hour.

Heart Note is like your character
The body and the scent last between 6-8 hours.

Bottom Note is like your soul
The lasting impression and the scent last for 18-24 hours.


Stage 3: Choosing of scents

The next stage was really simple, Amanda explained that when it comes to choosing the different types of notes' scents, it should be an immediate "Yes or No" response.

The top note scent I chose is Orange Blossom, followed by Cedar as my heart note and ending off with Incense as my bottom note. For me, the result is a fresh, woody scent.

Stage 4: Mixing of scents
Here comes the part where I got to mix the 3 chosen scents into a bottle, the perfume is alcohol based and the scents are a blend of essential oils that are dripped into the bottle based on weight. Each bottle of perfume will contain 5g of essential oil blends.


I was told to dripped in 2g of Orange Blossom, 1g of Cedar, 1g of Incense and leave the remaining 1g as an allowance for us to tweak the scent, if necessary, after the first smell test!

Stage 5: Testing of scent 
After dripping in the blend, Amanda spritz the perfume onto my wrist and got me out of the store to have a better whiff of the mixed scent to determine if I am pleased with it. No secret here, I wasn't because overall scent was too sweet.

Stage 6: Tweaking of scent
So we got back to the mixing station and Amanda suggested to add in 0.9g of Orange Blossom and 0.1g of Cedar to tone down the sweetness that stems from Immortal Incense's scent.

Stage 7: Final testing of scent
With that tweak, it was time to step outside again to test the perfume out. I found it really interesting how a few grams of scents can alter the finished product. It's like adding that final touch of salt or a dash of herbs to a dish to bring out the flavors.

But I'm satisfied with the perfume now with more Orange Blossom added to it!

Final Stage: Printing of label
Now, it was time to print my name on the bottle with the 3 different scents on it!

To achieve it, Amanda types away on the laptop and the printing is done in-house. It took a few minutes but once done, the finished bottle looks chic and classy.






OVERALL THOUGHT


With 34 scents available, I understand why this experience included the Quiz as the first step taken to shortlist the scent. It would affect your judgement if we were to sniff through 34 scents to identify which we like. And I learnt something new from Amanda: smell the back of your hand/ skin to restart your smell sense. I never knew that, I always thought smelling coffee beans was the way to achieve that!

Personally, I appreciate that all their scents are eaux de parfum with 21% perfume concentrate as this means that you get a more lasting scent. 1 spritz of the perfume in the morning will last you for most parts of the day. To put that theory to test, I spritz my perfume onto my skin and went about my day at work. The scent went through it's different top, heart and bottom notes through out the day. No surprise, but the scent lasted until I took a shower in the late evening. Actually, even the notebook I used during the session with Amanda brought back the scents in the store and I can smell it now as I type away while referring to my notes!

Additionally, their perfume are cruelty-free, and made without preservatives, GMOs, CMR substances or phthalates, perfect for those with sensitive skin. I thought that was a plus as my skin do "burn" with the use of some perfumes. With Maison 21G perfumes, beside the wet cooling sensation of liquid hitting my skin when I spritz, there isn't any negative reaction to my skin.

 Lastly, the part that sold me was that their packaging is re-usable and they allow you to come back for refills once you finish your bottle! I was told that when you bring your bottle back, they will help you wash it and disinfect it with alcohol before refilling it with either your current mix or a new blend of scent.

Prices: $95 for 2 scents; $120 for 3 scents, $140 for 4 scents, and $150 & above for Black collection scents
 
My Readers' Perk

Quote M21Gjodulu15 for a15% discount code for all Maison 21G online products!

Besides customized perfumes, Maison 21G offers a range of scented products like solid perfumes, candles, home scents, and hand sanitizers so do feel free to check them out at Maison21g.com

This review is sponsored, but reviews are based solely on user's experience and are in not way influenced by any other factors.

0 comments: