Navigation Menu

Origin: Sleeping with Superior Coolmax® Latex Pillow [Sponsored Review]

When it comes to finding the right pillow, I feel like the prince in Cinderella. I know what I like but I can't the one that fit. 


Best in Singapore recently reached out to me again with the opportunity to test out their top rated pillow from Origin mentioned in their 8 Best Comfortable Pillows to Buy in Singapore 2020 article.


Before I go into my review of the pillow, I would like to share that I tend to sleep on my side and back. This is the reason why it has been challenging to find a pillow that would work for me because back sleepers need a flat, thin pillow while side sleepers need a contoured pillow that provides firm support. So I tend to find that my neck isn't supported properly during my sleep, resulting in waking up with migraines and neck aches.


ORIGIN SUPERIOR COOLMAX® LATEX PILLOW


The Origin Superior Coolmax® Latex Pillow offers a responsive Latex foam support and is completed with a removable Tencel fabric pillow cover. Sink into the ultimate plush pillow that cradles your head! Origin offers a 30-Night Trial with money-back guarantee for users to test this pillow out before committing fully.


MADE OF NATURAL LATEX 

There's a thin fabric cover that wraps the
latex material, this cover can't be removed.
Unlike memory foam or fibre, latex foam has a denser material, moulding to the shape of your head to give you the right level of sleep support. Extremely durable with hypoallergenic properties, latex material is highly recommended for people with allergies for a good relaxing sleep as it has lesser dust, bacteria or mould issues. Being impression-resistant, it can also hold its shape for many years while still feeling soft.

TENCEL FABRIC REMOVABLE PILLOW COVER

A unique feature of Origin Superior Coolmax® Latex Pillow is that it comes with a removable pillow cover made with Tencel fabric. Tencel fabric is known for its natural comfort, environmentally responsible production process and being softer as compared to cotton. It is hypoallergenic, lightweight, and extremely ideal for hot weather climates. This cover can be machine washed which helps to extend the pillow’s life in the long run. 

REVIEW

Pillow Dimensions:
65cm x 40cm x 13cm

Material: Natural Latex, Coolmax® Cooling Gel & Removable Tencel Fabric Pillow Cover

Price: Was $159, now at $129

Pros: 
  1. There's a good mix of softness and support, and I like that the pillow is gently rounded and flat. Because I've tried other foam-based pillows with deep contours and it feels weird & uncomfortable around my neck and shoulder area.
  2. Latex material doesn't clump or develop hollow spots, and maintains its shape through night. This is an important point to note because I use pillows made with a blend of feathers & other materials and it can get a little uncomfortable when it clumps up to a corner of the pillow and sometimes, my neck and shoulder don't get the proper support it needs.
  3. This pillow's hypoallergenic properties really did reduce the occurrence of me waking up with nasal stuffiness or congestion! My nose is pretty sensitive to dust and I've realised that in this 7 days of trial, I wake up with lesser congestion. It's not completely gone because my quilt contains feathers.
  4. It's really cooling to lie on the pillow, perfect for Singapore's climate. With the Coolmax® Cooling Gel, this pillow stays cool longer than regular pillow, making it quite refreshing to drift to sleep on.
  5. It comes with a removable Tencel Fabric pillow cover that acts as the pillow's protective cover, making the pillow last longer and give the pillow a slightly softer feel to it.
  6. It's lighter than memory foam pillows and other latex pillows I've come across.
Cons: 
  1. It has a latex odor. It takes awhile to get used to the latex scent.
  2. It doesn't really mould to the shape of  my head, neck & shoulder, there's still a slight resistance of the latex material when I rest my head down on it and doesn't cradle as one would hope.
  3. It can feel a little bouncy to sleep on, but the Tencel Fabric pillow cover does help in reducing the bounciness.
Overall Rating: 7/10
For this review, I slept in 3 different ways:
First night: I laid on my back and woke up the next morning with neck & shoulder aches. I think this pillow is a little too high for me to sleep on my back.

Second, third & forth night: I slept on my right side while hugging to another pillow between my arms and legs. I woke up with improvements to my neck & shoulder aches. So I tried sleeping on my side for 2 more nights and I think this pillow works best for side sleepers because the latex material helps to support the head and neck while relieving the pressure of the body off the shoulder.

Fifth night: I tried to sleep on my stomach but I couldn't stay in this sleeping position for long. I find that the pillow kept my head slanted upwards at an angle that made it uncomfortable. 

Sixth and seventh night: I went back to sleeping on my side without hugging a pillow between my arms and legs. I woke up with a slight ache in my shoulders. So for the seventh night, I went back with the pillow between my arms and legs and it helped to relieve the ache.

So, my conclusion is that Origin Superior Coolmax® Latex Pillow works best for side sleepers once you get over the smell of the latex material, the pillow does feel soft, cooling and nice to sleep on. However, it works better if you sleep on your side with another pillow or a bolster between your legs and arms to help keep your spine in alignment to prevent strain from sleeping on the side. 

I do have an issue with sleeping on this pillow for some nights when I turn in my sleep, and changed to sleeping on my back subconsciously and woke up to neck aches and a slight headache after. 

For improvement, I think this pillow can be a little less firm to allow some space for compression for back and tummy sleepers, and to have the removable pillow cover to be thicker with a soft foam to minimize that bouncy sensation that latex gives.

This post has been brought to you by Best in Singapore. 
For more Best in Singapore recommendations, do follow them here:

This review is sponsored, but reviews are based solely on user's experience and are in not way influenced by any other factors.

0 comments: