Navigation Menu

Sage and Ylang: Skin Care products Review [Partially Sponsored Review]

Previously, I wrote about Sage and Ylang in my post and shared my experience with some of the products. As you now know, the brand is an organic, natural, pure plant-based green beauty line created by Irene Chong. The Radiance Series is the result of four years of product research and development to help combat skin dullness, uneven skin tone and lack of skin firmness.


All products are formulated using high quality, phytonutrient-rich ingredients to meet the demands of maturing skin. As quick fixes to rejuvenate skin only display a temporary effect, Sage & Ylang firmly believes that a high-quality green skincare regimen, plus a healthy and holistic lifestyle are key to having a more radiant and healthy looking skin.

As mentioned in my previous post, after my conversation with Irene, I decided to give their products a try and was going to pay for their Trial range but she was nice to offer me their full sized range instead so I did a partial payment and she sponsored me the rest. That being said, if you are a regular reader, you should know by now that my reviews are based solely on my experience and are in not way influenced by any other factors. So with that out of the way, let's kick start with my reviews!

For this post, I will be reviewing the following products
  • Radiance Luxury Serum
  • Radiance Defense Serum
  • Radiance Indulgence Mask


Radiance Luxury Serum


Radiance Luxury is a powerful multi-tasking night treatment which targets to reverse the effects of environmental aggressors. Powered by phytonutrients and anti-oxidants, this serum counters the effect of skin-stress that happened during the day. This nightly ritual will get your skin ready for renewal and rejuvenation. The brightening active will work on uneven skin tone, and you will awake to smoother, firmer, and more radiant skin.

Price: $96 for 30ml

Texture:  light-weight oil

Smell: a blend of botanical scents

Ingredients:
Rosa Canina (Rose Hip) Fruit Oil*, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil*, Squalane (Olive), Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil*, Helianthus Annus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Borago Officinalis (Borage) Seed Oil*, Ubiquinone (CoQ10), Hippophae Rhamnoides (Sea Buckthorn) Fruit Extract, Prunica Granatum (Pomegranate) Seed Oil*, Camellia Oleifera Seed Oil*, Spilanthes Acmella Flower Extract, Dimethylmethoxy Chromanyl Palmitate, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Boswellia Carterii (Frankincense) Gum Oil*, Pelargonium Roseum (Geranium Rose) Leaf Oil*, Cistus Ladaniferus Oil^, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Sweet Orange) Peel Oil Expressed*
* Ingredients from Organic Farming
^ Wild Crafted
Certified Organic Ingredients : 72.1%

To use: 
Massage 1-2 pumps nightly onto damp face, neck, and decollete.
To enhance absorption of this serum, spritz your face with essence or toner, and while your face is still damp, massage the serum into your skin.

Overall Rating: 10/10
Firstly, the scent of this is divine! It helps me unwind after a long day as I massage the oil gently onto my face, neck and decollete as instructed and wake up to skin that is plump, well-rested and radiant.

I've been using this for a month and there's still more than half of it in the bottle, going to show that a little goes a long way for this serum. I would suggest new users of oil serum to start with a pump or 5 drops of this at a start to get used to the texture and work your well up to 2 pumps. For me, I'm a fan of oil serums as I find that in the process of massaging the such product onto my face, it helps to unclog blackheads (gross but hey~ it helps) and with 2 pumps, it does a really good job at clearing out the skin while giving it the necessary moisturizing result.

Radiance Defense Serum

A concentrated serum of 15 phytonutrients and vitamin, enhances the skin's natural defense against environmental stressors. Besides offering unique skin brightening and protection, this serum also nourishes, repairs, moisturizes, tones and firms, all at the same time.

This multi-tasking, light-weight serum consists of a blend of healing plant oils, which are high in phytonutrients, plus Vitamin C and E, which aids in skin brightening and gives an added anti-oxidant effect. Each of the ingredients is carefully selected to target the needs of maturing skin, which is constantly bombarded by an array of environmental factors.
Price: $96 for 30ml

Texture:  light-weight oil

Smell: a blend of citrus and botanical scents

Ingredients:
Rubus Idaeus (Red Raspberry) Seed Oil*, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil*, Squalane (Olive), Euterpe Oleracea (Acai) Fruit Oil*, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Helianthus Annus (Sunflower) Seed Oil*, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Extract, Plukenetia Volubilis (Sacha Inchi) Seed Oil*, Passiflora Edulis (Maracuja/Passion Fruit) Seed Oil*, Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C), Glyceryl Stearate, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Dimethylmethoxy Chromanyl Palmitate, Cananga Odorata Flower (Ylang Ylang) Oil*, Pelargonium Roseum (Geranium Rose) Leaf Oil*, Lavandula Latifolia Herb (Lavender Spike) Oil*, Pogostemon Cablin (Patchouli) Leaf Oil*, Cymbopogon Citratus (Lemongrass) Leaf Oil^
* Ingredients from Organic Farming
^ Wild Crafted
Certified Organic Ingredients : 70%

To use: 
Massage 1-2 pumps every morning onto damp face, neck, and decollete.
To enhance absorption of this serum, spritz your face with essence or toner, and while your face is still damp, massage the serum into your skin.
This serum does not replace the use of sunblock with SPF and UVA protection.
Overall Rating: 7/10
If I have to choose between the 2 different types of serum, I will choose Radiance Luxury. Radiance Defense doesn't seem to yield any significant improvement or result after use. Initially, I thought that it could have been due to the sunscreen I used along with the makeup but I changed the products I've used on top of this serum and still it doesn't show any difference.

That being said, I have to applaud Sage & Ylang for finding the perfect balance for the texture of this serum, being a day oil serum, the texture is akin to that of the finish a light cream moisturizer would give. It doesn't feel oily, blends well into the skin and doesn't affect the texture of the sunscreen and makeup I layer on top.

Radiance Indulgence Mask

Pamper yourself with this mini facial spa in the comfort of your own home. Radiance Indulgence is infused with 10 exotic botanical extracts and organic essential oils. These skin-renewing anti-aging botanicals are powerful skin rejuvenator which are able to revitalize and refresh your skin.

Price: $76 for 100ml

Texture: Clay powder

Smell: a blend of botanical scents

Ingredients:
Montmorillonite(French Pink And Yellow Clay), Kaolin, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour*, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Powder*, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Powder*, Rosa Canina (Rosehips) Fruit Powder*, Tapioca Starch, Moringa Oleifera Fruit Powder*, Curcuma Longa (Tumeric) Leaf Powder*, Panax Quinquefolius (Panax Ginseng)*, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract*, Pelargonium Roseum (Geranium Rose) Leaf Oil*, Citrus Sinensis (Sweet Orange) Peel Oil Expressed*
*Ingredients from Organic Farming
Certified Organic Ingredients : 45%
To Use:
  1. Activate 2 teaspoons of clay with about 1.5 teaspoons of water, and stir till a smooth consistency. Apply to face and neck with a brush, avoiding eye area. Leave on for about 7-10 minutes, then wash off with water.
  2. When used as a gentle exfoliator, follow the same method as above, but immediately use your fingertips to gently massage your face for few minutes, then wash off with water.
  3. Follow with toner and facial serum.
FREQUENCY OF USE
Dry skin : 1-2 times per week
Oily skin : 2-3 times per week

Overall Rating: 8.5/10

This mixture dries quite easily upon application so blend quickly onto your face, I find that it helps to wet my finger and go over areas to even out the layer. As the mask dries, it will tighten and start to feel itchy so don't leave it on for more than 10 mins if you have sensitive skin.

Left: Clean cotton pad
Right: After running the cotton pad over
skin after mask 
The thing I don't like about this mask is that it leaves a yellow layer (from the turmeric) after washing it off and will stain your towels/ white pillow case. I won't be bothered by it if I used the mask in the day and am staying home for the entire day, but if I use it before going out or before sleeping, I will run a cotton pad with toner over my face to remove the yellow layer.

I wouldn't recommend using this as an exfoliator too as the mix is a little too scratchy for the skin for my liking, and so if you do so, be very very gentle!

That being said, the mask does have its benefits. I found that it helps to cleanse and detox my skin, improve the skin tone, calm the skin and lighten scars and pigmentation. On days that I have a few blemishes, I will mix a small amount and do a spot treatment over the pimple and I find that it helps to calm the skin.

Right: Skin is red, pores are obvious and look "open".
Left: Skin is lighter in tone, redness reduced, pores appears smaller and more refined & scars seems a little faded.

With that, it brings me to the end of this review post, head to sageandylang.com or follow them on Instagram at @sageandylang to check out Sage & Ylang!

This review is partially sponsored (I bought some on my own!), but reviews are based solely on user's experience and are in not way influenced by any other factors.

0 comments: