Navigation Menu

Sage and Ylang Lip and Cheek Tint [Sponsored Review]

3 months ago, I reviewed a series of Sage & Ylang's products after chancing upon them at the Boutique Fair. I did a quick review of their lip and cheek tint in Sugar Plum shade (click here to read the review) and ever since then, Irene (Sage & Ylang's Founder) went back to her drawing block and worked at improving the formulation of it.

To check out Sage & Ylang, head to their website at sageandylang.com or follow them on Instagram at @sageandylang!



Today, I will be reviewing the entire Lip and Cheek Tint shades and my thoughts on them in time for their upcoming booth at the Boutique Fair this weekend!


Lip and Cheek Tint
This vegan Lip and Cheek Tint was created because Irene wanted to provide cleaner and greener alternatives for adults and teenagers. A compact and versatile 2 in 1 formula suitable for those who don’t wear a full face of makeup on a daily basis and just wanted to add some colour to the lips and cheeks without all the hassle.

Benefits:
  • Provides moisture and soothes chapped lips
  • Provides a sheer and natural colour on the lips and cheeks
  • Great for everyday use
  • Contain Shea butter and meadow-foam seed oil which provide natural sun protection.
  • Perfect on its own or layer over other shades
  • Smooth buttery texture that glides over lips easily
To Use:
Using fingers or brush, apply a small amount to lips and cheeks. Blend with fingers.
For a more intense look, apply several layers till you achieve the desired color.
For other uses, read the end of this post!

Ingredients:
Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter*, Ricinus communis (Castor) Oil*, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) seed oil*, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) kernel oil*, Citrullus Lanatus ( Watermelon ) Seed Oil*, Alpha Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Mica, iron oxide, PELARGONIUM ROSEUM (Geranium Rose) LEAF Oil*, CITRUS SINENSIS (Blood Orange) PEEL OIL EXPRESSED*.

* Ingredients from Organic Farming
Certified Organic Ingredients : 75%

Price: $23 for 4.44ml

Texture: buttery balm once warmed up

Smell: floral blend of Geranium Rose and Blood Orange essential oils

Lip and Cheek Tints' Shades
After months of development, Irene has created a whole range of new shades with a smoother balm texture. I have with me 7 shades to review however, not all shades are up for purchase yet but you have first insight into the shades here!


Pink/Red Shades

Top: 1 layer of balm applied, Bottom: 3 layers of balm applied
Shade: Pink Blush

Colour: A sheer light-shimmery pink tint

Thoughts: 
A natural shade that you can apply & build up without worrying about the shade over-intensifying.
Top: 1 layer of balm applied, Bottom: 3 layers of balm applied

Top: 1 layer of balm applied, Bottom: 3 layers of balm applied
 Even with 3 layers applied, the shade looks very sheer and natural on my lips. If you have chapped lips and are looking for something more moisturizing out of the other shades, I highly recommend this!
Top: 1 layer of balm applied, Bottom: 3 layers of balm applied



Shade: Pink Frost

Colour: A shimmery pink tint

Thoughts: 
This shade doesn't suit my skin tone due to the light pink shimmers in it but it works well as a cheek tint.

However, I can see this working well for ladies with fair skin tone and lighter lip tone base. So feel free to head down to their booth this weekend to swatch it yourself!




Shade: Sugar Plum

Colour: A shimmery berry-red tint

Thoughts: 
Like what I previously reviewed, I find that this shade is perfect for all skin tone on the lips and cheeks.

It's very hard to go wrong with this shade!





Shade: Scarlet

Colour: A shimmery brick-red tint

Thoughts: 
Scarlet will be the shade I gravitate towards for a dark red lip without looking vampy or over the top.








Brown/Copper Shades
Top: 1 layer of balm applied, Bottom: 3 layers of balm applied

Shade: 
Cinnamon

Colour: A shimmery bronze tint

Thoughts: 
If you swatch this from the tube, you would think that it's too brown in colour for the lips, but the trick to using this is to blend with your fingers between each layer and the shade turns into a natural shade that looks really pretty on the lips!


Top: 1 layer of balm applied, Bottom: 3 layers of balm applied




Shade: Honey Earth

Colour: A shimmery copper-red shade

Thoughts:
Another shade that doesn't suit my skin tone, it dulls my complexion when I layer it heavily on my lips but I've found that it works as a eye shadow shade!






Top: 1 layer of balm applied, Bottom: 3 layers of balm applied.

Shade: 
Satin Pearl

Colour: A sheer golden-brown tint

Thoughts:
I love this shade because like Pink Blush, it is very versatile due to its sheerness. This would be a shade to consider if you are looking for something more moisturizing too!








Overall Rating: 9.5/10

Unlike the previous batch of Lip and Cheek Tint, this batch of tints are newly formulated to be softer and smoother to apply. Hence, the change in my rating because now, with its newly formulated texture, I find it sufficient in keeping my lips moisturized! I swatch all 7 shades in one go and my lips hardly flaked! Normally, I would end up with bits of dead dry skin hanging off the lips when I swatch other lip products...


Top: Pink Blush, Bottom: Cinnamon
I like that the shade can be layered on for a more intense colour and at the same time, it can be blended out for a softer look which works great on the lips, cheeks and even eyelids! Before applying it on my eyelids, I asked Irene if the ingredients are safe to use near the eye area and the answer was yes. I did a full 7 days trial with this on my eyelids as eye shadow and I can confirm that there isn't any negative reaction!

In fact, I love using the shades Pink Blush and Cinnamon as an eye shadow. Both are very easy colours to work with for a minimalist makeup look. For more intense colour, I will recommend using it with a primer, and to layer on the balm gently by dabbing them on with your finger. In terms of staying power, because it is a balm, by mid day, there will be creases but as it is highly pigmented, just use your fingers to blend the crease away and you are good to go! Pst!~ Cinnamon works great as a contour shade too!

The only issue I have with these tints is if you twist too much product out, you may not be able to twist them back down due to its formulation and if you are trying to apply straight from the tube, you will need to swipe it a few times to warm the balm up for it to be applied.

To overcome its downsides, I found that simply using your fingers to apply works really well. Just lift the cap off, run your finger tips over the balm and apply it by dabbing onto your lip, cheeks, jawline or eye lids. I will be posting a video of how I apply them onto my face on instagram so follow @jodyguide to watch it!

Cinnamon on eye lids, below cheekbones and jaw line as contour, Pink Blush on lips and above cheekbones as highlighter, Scarlet on cheeks!
Sage & Ylang is available at this weekend's Boutique Fair at
Boutique Pit Building,
15 Nov 2019
9am to 8pm

16 Nov 2019
10am to 8pm

17 Nov 2019
10am to 6pm

Alternatively, you may purchase them online too at Sage & Ylang website!

This review is sponsored, but reviews are based solely on user's experience and are in not way influenced by any other factors.

0 comments: