Navigation Menu

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Musee Platinum Tokyo: The truth behind their "No Hard Selling" claim [Purchased Review]

Ever since I started posting my experience with Japan IPL Express, many of you wanted to know more. So before I touch on my experience with Musee, I shall answer the questions that some of you have left for me under my comment section or via my email.

Does it hurt?

Depending on your personal threshold for pain, I would say that I found the pain from IPL very much more tolerable than waxing. It feels more like an ant bite or being lightly and quickly poked with a warm needle.

Will the hair grow out stubby after shaving?

Yes, after shaving, the shaft of the hairs will be different and it will appear stubbier. However, after IPL, most of the hairs will fall out so it's not a big issue.
Before shaving and after shaving.

What happened after your first visit with Japn IPL Express?
I wanted to see how long it will take once I stop doing the treatment for the hairs to grow back. So I haven't been back. It took me roughly 3 months for the hairs to regrow.

I'm currently on the search of another salon that offers a similar price range as Japan IPL Express to test and review... so keep an eye out for that!

Now, with that being said~
Let me share about my experience with Musee Platinum Tokyo!
I've been wanting to test them out and since they were having a GSS Special for their Underarm and Bikini line treatment, I decided to test out this process for those areas.


STEPS

1) Consultation

Your first appointment with them is just purely for them to talk to you about what you want, their packages and what to expect of the treatment. Once those details are ironed out, you proceed to make payments and it's only then that you are allowed to make a booking for the treatment. 

2) Treatment Session - Getting Ready

So I had to go back 1 week later for my first treatment.
After I've arrived, I was brought into one of their treatment rooms. In here, I got to change into a gown.



And as soon as the therapist got me laid down on the bed, she proceeded to cover my eyes with an eyewear that had paper towel in between so I couldn't see anything.


So everything else from that moment onwards is perceived by my other senses, and I believe that what my therapist did was that she wiped and disinfected my armpit area before using an electronic shaver to prepare the area for the S.S.C Hair Removal process.  


5) Gel Application & Start of S.S.C Hair Removal

Once that was done, a cool gel was applied onto the area before the therapist started zapping away.
Then, the eyewear was removed and replaced with a towel on top on the paper towel.


6) After S.S.C Hair Removal Treatment Steps

Here in Musee, they added this step which involves cooling the treated area down with a cool cloth for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, my therapist came back and applied some lotion onto the area, removed the towel from my eyes.

Then she left the room to allow me to change into my clothes, and when I got out, I was asked to make my next appointment before leaving the salon.

VERDICT

Duration: About 25 minutes

Overall Ambiance of the room: A simple room that looks almost like a clinic room with a cupboard for your belongings and a hanger on the wall for your clothes.


Service:
I'm going to state it out right now that my consultation wasn't a very enjoyable experience. Firstly, I thought that it was the most inefficient process to separate the treatment with the consultation because let's be honest, I want to do my treatment immediately. It's a waste of my time and transport to go down just for a consultation.

Secondly, for a company that states that they don't hard sell and that their staff thinks from the customer's perspective... I feel that it's a marketing gimmick. Because I felt that the consultant that served me was pushing for me to buy a more expensive package than the GSS Special for Underarm and Bikini Line. Not only did she speak like she just can't wait for the session to be over, she decided instantaneously that I don't need to bother about my bikini line area and ignored my request to just write it down on my profile for the service first.
That came about because I was trying to know what area does the Bikini line cover and I made the comment "Oh, that's the area that I don't think I will have much hair", so she went "oh ok, then you just do armpit" and proceed to write it onto my profile without even doing a through check. And to clarify, I did tell her that I prefer that she just write down armpit and bikini line, but she shot me down and just commented "Oh, if you think you don't have much hair for that area then no point. You just do armpit." Shocking, isn't it?

That being said, the therapist who attended to me was better, she explained most steps and made sure I was comfortable throughout. However, she was also pushing me to do more besides my armpits. And I realised that they use the same speech to get me to pay for more. It's always about how it is much better to do all the areas at one go rather than doing my armpits first to see how effective it is because that will take up more time.

Effectiveness:
This time round because it's just my armpits, I have no qualms using real photos to illustrate the effectiveness of the treatment.  As you can see, I have a few bald patch after the treatment so it is probably working and that's taking into consideration that they limit to 6 sessions per year.  I will do a follow up post after my 4th session.
Left: Before treatment, shaved. Right: After treatment, with hair grown out

Price: $30 for armpit, 6 sessions for the first year. Another 6 session for the next and once every 3 months for the third year on wards. 

OVERALL

I won't deny that it is effective and that I appreciate that that steps were taken to ensure that everything is hygienic, however, it is not one of the cheapest overall. It is the cheapest for underarm, but I've checked the rates for the lady bits (the areas that really matters) and it's quite costly with quite a confusing payment scheme for the number of sessions.

Someone should look into how the staffs are speaking to their customers, especially since it's been claimed that Musee do not practice hard selling. Because just from my 2 visit to the salon (one for consultation, the other for treatment), I've ready felt like the staffs are pushing me to do more than just my armpits.


This post has been brought to you by Epilator Central, a site that host reviews of Epilator Products and Hair Removal Services. Read my interview with Epilator Central here

16 comments:

  1. Hello there

    I'm Agent G from Beauty Undercover, a website reviewing beauty salons in Singapore :)
    While searching online, we came across your blog commenting on Musee Platinum Tokyo in Singapore!

    Would you mind if we publish an excerpt of your blog post and link to your page here: http://www.beautyundercover.sg/face-and-body/musee-platinum-tokyo-millenia-walk/

    Your blog post would help others know more about an experience at the salon, make a better salon decision and at the same time, increase your blog traffic.

    Let us know :) and hope you have a great week ahead.

    Regards,
    Agent G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Agent G,

      Thanks for stopping by to read my review.
      I noticed that you have went ahead to post an excerpt of my review on your page, on July 24, as Jodulu without my approval. Please remove it. I do not appreciate it.

      Thanks.

      Delete
    2. Dear Jody,

      Sorry for posting it earlier.
      Your review has been removed from the page, as requested.

      Warm Regards
      Beauty Undercover

      Delete
  2. Hi Jody,

    Thank you for sharing ur experience, it's a great review w much details.

    May I know how was the outcome so far after a year of treatment now? Was it effective?

    Look forward to hear your reviews after several treatments.

    Thank you

    Regards,
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee,

      Thanks for the question.
      I'll do an updated post on the outcome after a year soon, just for you:)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing this great article! That is very interesting I love reading and I am always searching for informative information like this.


    Gold Rate Today

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!

    Thanks for sharing this article!

    may i know can we shave the areas which we have IPL on between the session
    or can we only shave 2 - 3 days prior to next treatment.

    thanks!

    Regards,
    Jov

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jov,

      Thank you for stopping by this post!

      Great question, I understand that the duration between each treatment is dependent on whether if they have a slot for you (sometimes, it can be longer than the norm). From what I understand from my own consultation, you can definitely shave if you require during the waiting period towards your next session. The only reason why they state to state a few days in advance is to ensure that, if you should have any razor burn from the shaving, it will be healed before the IPL.

      Hope this answers your question :)

      Delete
  5. I should have skipped out on the consultation after reading your post.

    Had to go thru the same situation today! The lady doing the consultation was just plain rude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! Sorry to hear that! But~ I guess it is something Musee should look into then.

      Delete
  6. Can i check if it lightens the skin as well? I have really dark underarms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon,

      May I know what's the cause of your dark underarms? Was it caused from prolong waxing, thick hair etc.

      If it's from prolong waxing, that means that your skin gets pigmented easily. It will be something that you need to inform them so that the intensity of the laser used will be lesser. However, then this won't help with lightening.

      If it's because you have naturally thicker hair follicles, then naturally, with this treatment, it will help.

      Alternatively, you might want to try gently scrub your underarm and can even try oil cleansing for your underarm. Because dark underarms are usually due to the accumulation of dead skin cells, but note that it will take time, so be gentle and make it a routine overtime, ok? Because scrubbing too hard and too frequently can actually darken the area more because you are damaging the skin.

      I also use masks that help to brighten skin on my underarm to prevent darkening. The rational is to treat your underarm like the skin on your face! Haha!

      Hope this answers your question :)

      Delete
  7. Hi,

    Google brought me to this detailed review and thanks for sharing this!

    I wish to know the outcome after a year too, but couldn't find the updated post of the Musee experience on your blog when scrolling through the comment. Are you still having IPL and how do you get rid of the underarm hair currently?

    Btw, I've small irritating bumps on my underarm (round thing that can't seem to get rid of), not sure it's due to shaving because it's not growing hair on the bump. Do you know any way to get rid of it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Have you done a follow-up post on this yet? Would love to know how it worked out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi thanks for your post! When I was called about my consultation they said that it's for them to check whether their treatment could be done on my skin... Do you have to shave before consultation?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi!

    Just happen to stumble upon your post while looking for an ipl place to do my underarms. Would you personally recommend musee after a year of experience? Or is there any better alternative? :)

    Would gladly appreciate your reply, thanks!:)

    ReplyDelete